Wednesday, June 25, 2008

If Adults Were Kids...

Today I spent a wonderful day at Penrose; in the course of a meeting, I got to walk around the park, warm in the sun, and talk about my work. On a back trail, we stepped out onto the beach and suddenly, over the water, we could Rainier in the distance. She is spectacular!
This afternoon I took my guitar, book, and blanket out to the point and there I finished the first Lord of the Rings. Surprisingly good- I have done nothing productive in the last two days as I have been too invested in this stinkin’ book. I want to keep reading the trilogy, but I have other books on my list and not enough time to engulf myself for days once again.
I am seriously tempted to pick up that second book, but that could be dangerous. My house has fallen to pieces and I have been neglecting my music and my writing. Still, I am tempted by the tales of travel: On the Road, Travels with Charley, Blue Highways, The Fellowship of the Ring, To a God Unknown…the books I have read have either been about the road or about trees, or both. Perfect.
In other, more exciting, news, my dear friend Rachel will be coming to visit me next week! We drove 3600 miles together to get out here, and now she is coming back. I am quite anxious for her arrival, as I could seriously use her hug and her conversation, and this house could use her warmth and voice.
Until then, I am making plans for some more hiking/mountaineering/rock climbing and preparing for my first “official” evening program. Yikes!! If only adults were kids...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I want to be a Junior Ranger with you!

Shannon Lea said...

the next time I come to visit (if I may, of course) I'll totally do a program :0)