Thursday, May 29, 2008

Twigs

Today marks the first day that I am exhausted. Someone must have stepped on the twig that is me because I have snapped. I think the lack of sleep of the last two days combined with giving seven half-hour presentations to 3rd graders combined with the fact that gas is 4.05 and groceries are as expensive has driven me bonkers. Today was actually a great day. The kids were great and then Jamie and I went out for a fun dinner. After, we went to go get groceries and I realized that I had left all my grocery bags at home. For some reason the last several hours of my life have been complete and utter confusion as I oscillate between complete joy because of Jamie’s visit to complete distress over the amount of waste we as humans produce and over the utterly daunting and perhaps unavoidable prospect that we are suffocating all other life on this planet to serve our own selfish needs. Perhaps sleep is what I need to “fix” this, but it is deeper than just me being uncharacteristically upset. Everything I’m working on this summer explores how we can live in greater unity with the earth, and then I come back to my heated house in my SUV with my plastic wrappers from lunch. I actually feel sick to my stomach.

Also, if anyone knows what I am doing and where I am living come September, if they could please let me know that would be great.

But really, I’m fine and I’m enjoying the violin, and am now we are going to “jam” together. Tomorrow is another day.

2 comments:

dna said...

I am imagining the sweet joy of the vibrations of a live violin resounding in your cabin in the woods. savor the moments...its a long road.
love to you.
Uncle David

Unknown said...

I am finally keyed into the blog and can't wait to read the developments of your summer. I am so jealous! These are the days. Delicious, difficult, wonderful days. Thanks for sharing your thoughts! Hopefully this audience will give them weight and an added permanence. I wish I could be a Junior Ranger in your class! Jes (and the PJs)