Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Continued Musings, etc.


First day of work today. Went to Penrose Point State Park to have beginning orientation; spent the morning on the trails and filling out paperwork. After lunch, we drove over to Kopachuck, where I met the supervisor over there and again walked trails. Overall, I felt the run that I took yesterday. I have slightly more energy and much less creativity then yesterday, so I will begin to describe my life here in the Pacific Northwest.

My house. What everyone here describes as my “little cabin” is an absolute mansion. I am told it is 1,000 square feet. I have a quaint kitchen with a huge (and currently fairly empty) fridge. Cabinets all over the place remind me that although my trunk was bursting, I came with very little. Overall, my “stuff” provides no match for the shelving, closets, and drawers in the house. It was obviously built for many people to survive in a small space. Bathroom, two smallish bedrooms, and an enormous living room. In the bathroom, I hung one of Charlie’s fabrics: blue and gold, black characters.

The living room has been my favorite room: wood-paneled walls, vaulted ceilings (white wood), windows on three sides. The far wall has wonderful bookshelves and drawers. The opposite wall is home to my very own fireplace. The first two nights we had 1-match fires, of which I am rather proud. There is practically infinite fire wood. This wall is special. My Atlantic and Pacific shells are on the mantle. One of my favorite parts of the house is the pair of wall sconces that hang above. Between is a picture of mountain goats and bighorn sheep that dear friend Bill made for me.

The silence of yesterday was quite exhausting, but the house is already becoming my home. Yesterday afternoon I could not handle the echo of music from my computer so I picked up my beautiful and wonderful and absolutely amazing guitar and played E-A-E-A-B7-E as loud as I could before attempting some picking. When I got back from the library last night (after blogging), I was interrupted twice on the phone by call waiting! It is wonderful to know people (mom) are still there when I am far away.

This is quite out of order, but I am fondly remembering it now and so am moved to share. Indeed, I wanted to wait to talk about my guitar until after I have sent all my letters, but it really has become an important part of my life already. Thank you notes are coming, I absolutely promise! It was day three of our drive. We had driven 716 miles in 13 hours on I-90 from Madison WI to the Badlands and arrived at about 7. The drive was fantastic, we got along wonderfully, wade in the Mississippi (first for all of us!), noted the changes in the land, and sang together.

After dinner at the campsite, as the sun was setting and it was growing colder, the girls and I took our blanket and some lyrics that I had printed out and had an amazing time singing, playing, and drumming. We kept playing as it became dark, eventually going back to songs we had already sung, until some of the other campers called us over to their light. They had me play a song (Jolene), which led to another song (some J.Cash), and so on (familiar?). We (friends&I, guitar&I) had adventures before and have had adventures since, but that was an absolutely striking moment of peace.

The library is closing in ten minutes and I do not yet have internet access at my house, so for now I will sign off. That was not nearly as much as I intended to talk about, but alas I am a bit verbose, as my co-workers are learning and of course you know. In sum, I had a great first day and am ready for bed at 7:52. Tomorrow I have more orientation, and am getting some furniture for my house.

Oh! The most important thing that I was going to do today was gloat about how awesome my job is! I am getting paid (not really...) to identify plants, animals, and rocks, and explain why they are cool. I cannot possibly describe the flora that is here, but I hope you bird watchers are reading and I will try to report on species. (The drive across the country led to quite a few interesting hawks, falcons, etc.) Today I saw a Wilson's Warbler and what I think was a Pileated Woodpecker. AND I watched an eagle fly to it's nest right about me. What a great job!

Love!

4 comments:

jd said...

I am going to enjoy the saga of shannon a great deal - hope you keep it up as your life gets full of new people and work etc... tbc...

jd said...

hey shannon, that was my post.

jd

dna said...

Wonderful blogs, Shannon--we LOVE hearing about your adventures.
Uncle David and Auntonia

K said...

so during the first Brack meeting, Chris gave a powerpoint presentation on how to make a powerpoint presentation....and it totally included pileated woodpeckers.