Thursday, May 22, 2008

and coming up on your left, my right, is a love-hate relationship...

...with what you ask? Technology. I am now fortunate enough to have access to the world wide web from my very own living room. Still, I don’t have the admin information for my state computer, and am now locked out because I tried too many passwords. My cell phone has decided to limit my text messaging ability to zero, and my dialing ability to sporadic.

This morning, after waking up to my natural alarm clock because my phone died overnight, I went to an elementary school to help the rangers discuss beach rules with the kids before they come to the park on a field trip.

My boss: “Alright kids, we’re not going to take any shells or rocks from the beach because animals need them for new homes and protection.”
Girl 1: “What if the shell is broken?”
Green sweater: “Um…this one time…um my mom and me…”
Blue T-shirt: “Are we going to see jellyfish?”
Curly headed girl in the front row who thinks jellyfish are gross: “What about Dolphins?”
Sage t-shirt and glasses: “Um, if, can, um, can we take a really pretty shell from the beach?”

Them: very cute, very excited, somewhat distracted. Me: very excited to have them come to the beach. Very excited to have them go back to their parents at the end of the day.

But really, I am giving my first Junior Ranger program on Saturday. I am excited to hang out with the kids, but I’m rather nervous because of the parents who will be with us. I’ve been reading a lot about getting children to tune into nature and I think I have the beginnings of a program. Tomorrow my research will be about animal camouflage.

No comments: