Saturday, May 17, 2008

Interpretus Internus

My days off are Monday and Tuesday. That means when I go to the library at 7 on what I think is a Wednesday, it is actually a Friday, and it closed at 5. Learn something new every day. Yesterday, my Wednesday, your Friday, I went back to Penrose to finish my paperwork (I'm free!! or exactly the opposite). Got my uniform and reviewed safety policy. In the evening I took my guit-fiddle to the canal and played until it grew dusky. relaxing evening of music and a book. This morning, Twanoh hosted Brian, a man whose knowledge of Washington flora is infinate. On my yellow notepad, I scrambled to record his anecdotes, and hopefully a common or Latin name, before we moved on to other plants and fungi. I also decided that scientific names should be used as seasoning, only to highlight interesting features or humerous names.

I am inundated with reading material and tasks that I have been given or have given to myself. Tomorrow I am helping with a cub scout program over in Penrose, and then back for my orientation at Twanoh with Stacy. I hope to have some down time soon to do research. The good and bad of being a volunteer. The good: I have no supervisor yelling at me because he has to play me overtime. The bad: I don't get paid. I have a feeling things will balance out.

I got my uniform yesterday. Snazzy tan polo shirts with SCA, some patches, hats. People are taking care of me. Met Ranger Joel's wife today. Offered me two things that I quickly took her up on: 1) to take in any baggy pants (much needed) and 2) to give me a Harley ride around the Canal. I am quite excited. Also, a woman who attended the program today told me she had some things in her trunk that she was taking to a thrift store. I found gold! Two plates, a rice cooker, and a dish drying rack. I am very excited about the washing quantity possibilities facilitated by this drying rack. After I heard Stacy play her violin, she invited me back to her new house. Showed me hiking pictures and then loaded me up with a jacket, swiffer, and some glasses. My house is filling out and I like it quite a lot. I have borrowed a vaccuum so I will finally be able to clean.

I have struggled to post pictures, and hope to continue to do so, perhaps finding an easier way. I lost my camera in Michigan, and hope to get a new one soon. For now, the house picture was taken by Stacy before I came out, and the trip pictures will be from my companions.

Love!

1 comment:

Ma said...

You said, "I found gold! Two plates, a rice cooker, and a dish drying rack." That is tremendous!!! I am utterly grateful to your caring friends for helping you settle in.

Remind me to tell you about my "dining room table" that I found at a yard sale just before I moved from Ohio back to Wilmington circa 1977.