Wednesday, May 21, 2008

ecosystems are neat

Worked from home today: much less distracted than I anticipated. Read about children’s games and salmon and common plants/animals. At about 2 I was dying to get out of my house, so I bundled up and headed into the woods. About four steps in I encountered my first garter snake, later on I found an adorable little salamander and watched the little guy stalk out a bug. Her/his muscle control was amazing! Bird, plant, amphibian, reptile, fish: check. I don't think I've found a mammal yet. About the same time that I found the snake it started to drizzle/rain, so I got my first real experience with the rainforest. I began to practice guiding a group out loud and realized that I know squat and can maybe fill five minutes worth of presentation. Back to the books.


Oh, and ecosystems are neat. Look up the life cycle of salmon. chum salmon is a good example. just check it out. riparian ecosystems in particular. what a world we live in.



The picture here is totally random, but if i didn't mention it before: we got snowed on in Yellowstone. it was not flurries. it was decidedly not flurries, but instead about four inches. At points along the road, the snow towered feet *above* the car. This is us thoroughly enjoying the fridid landscape.

No comments: