Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Tuesday starts with T!

I began yesterday by going for a run. Determined to discover just how far Happy Hollow (gas station) was from the park, I returned home about 50 minutes later, after running the 6 mile round trip…a feat that should not seem extraordinary to an ex-x-country-runner, but that is still present in my aching muscles. Upon return I dunked in the canal- providing me with an excuse to lay around in the sun for a while.
In the evening I went over to Stacy’s where we were, as Jamie would call it, “culinary.” We were quite successful until we burnt the garlic bread…and grated the black parts into the trash can. This trick I learned from Jacques Pepin.


Crashed at Stacy’s so that we could take Twanoh for a walk in the morning. I woke up early and walked around her garden, taking pictures, playing with Twanoh, and enjoying the green grass under my bare feet. We had breakfast, and went to Banner (state forest). Then shopping, chatting, and I returned home and was productive. This word “productive”- I think this is interesting and shall continue to explore its meaning and use in my life.

The park aide here, Wayne, stopped by about an hour ago, as I was sitting down to write this entry. We ended up having some great conversations that we are excited to continue.

I feel silly thinking about all of the things I have learned out here- was I really that naïve? I always fought the adjective “sheltered,” but I wish someone would have shaken me and taken me out of this stupid college environment sooner. Does anyone else see the irony? I don’t use sheltered in terms of the things that college can un-shelter you from….there are people. Everywhere. Living there lives. I want to know how they all do it. I want to say that I was craving this, but was I? I think so. I hope so. None of this will make sense tomorrow and I am being purposefully vague…I have no idea what I am trying to say other than I am glad I am out here. I don’t want a “told ya so.” I don’t know if it is a blessing, or if it is of my own doing, or if it is because of my blessings that I could pursue this of my own doing.

Responsibility.

What is the responsibility of a college student? Is it to get a degree? Is it to learn as much as possible? If so; about what? The area that you are studying? The different kinds of cheap light beer? How to schmooze? How to listen? How to learn? How to interact with people? How you interact with people? How to decide for yourself what the responsibilities of a college student are?

Is it universal?

No comments: