Saturday, July 5, 2008

Purple Mountain Majesties

Today I worked on several programs at home. Full day, and then Stacy and I gave a campfire program in the evening. The set list:













1. Man of Constant Sorrow/You Are My Sunshine
Stacy: violin & voice, me: guitar and voice
2. America the Beautiful
violin, whole group singing
3. Ashokan Farewell
violin
4. You're Cheating Heart
me: guitar and vocals
5. This Land is Your Land
violin, guitar, and group
6. Red River Valley
violin and group
7. The Star Spangled Banner
me: voice
8. A fiddle song of sorts
violin
9. Home on the Range
violin, guitar, whole group singing
10. Amazing Grace
violin, guitar, my voice

It was wonderfully fun. At the end, we took requests, so I played a few more, stacy played a few more. Then we let the kids play the instruments; it was spectacular to share music with everyone who came.

Look at #7 again. I can't believe I gave them that option. After Stacy and I finished rehearsing and I was getting ready, I thought about the anthem. Neither of us had planned on it, and I wondered if I could sing it. I tried it once (chest the whole way...none of that soprano nonsense) in my house, and then boom, I said they had options and suddenly I was singing the national anthem.

That was one of the most adrenaline pumping moments I have ever experienced. One of the most fulfilling and fantastic and humbling and out-of-body moments. We were in the campground, so not only could those that came to the program hear, but you all know how loud I am... As I began, everyone started to stand up. "home of the brave" was followed by whistling. I just...I...I don't have any words left. I didn't know I had that to give.

After the program, I went down to the beach with Stacy (while she watched for people lighting fireworks in the park) and watched fireworks shoot from around the canal. After a sort of stressful morning, playing music and watching the sun set over the water were just the things I needed (plus hearing from several people from home!).

I'm never really a "4th of July" person, but I am a community person, and a family person. Today I reflect on how I've spent 4ths before; I remember the time we rushed to get to Mt. Rushmore in time to see the fireworks; the time we sat outside the school in Grinnell; the time we tried our own at the Rudisaile's, the time AG friends went to UD for the show; the times we went with family and friends; and last year when I stood three stories above the sidewalk, on a roof surrounded by friends, and watched fireworks from all over the steel city. PA, DE, WY, SD, IA, and now WA.

Tonight I think of all of my friends and family. The Sisson and Watkins and Halloran. The Avon Grove, the Pittsburgh, and the Washington. The Providence, the Boulder, the Binghamton. The homestead, the 6th grade sleepover, the college dorm room. The one that's on a plane in about three hours to come see me. The ones who've done that already. those that I haven't met yet. Those with whom I speak english, and spanish, and german. Those who showed me music in the first place, and those who continue to give me inspiration. Those with whom I sing, I play, I listen, I share, I learn, I write, I laugh, I cry; those who I love.

No comments: