Monday, December 21, 2009

Friends and the Phillipines

First...Josh and I had to do some last minute changes to our Chinese New Year plans. As we knew, airline tickets are quite expensive because of the new year, but this is the time when we have a whole week off of work, so we definitely are traveling. I have days off from Saturday, Feb 13 (I normally work on Saturdays) through the next saturday (20). Initially we had planned an amazing trip to the island of Borneo-going to Kotakinabalu Malaysia and then to Brunei. This would give practically untouched jungles in which to go hiking, and the summit of Mt. Kinabalu. Of course, yesterday Josh realized that Chinese New Year is ALSO an official holiday in Malaysia and traveling within the country would be narly impossible.

SO, we spent the evening researching plane tickets, and discovered that the Phillipines will be reasonably priced. We bought tickets and are heading for Manila in the wee hours of the 13th. The tentative plan includes swimming with whale sharks, hiking on volcanos, and exploring the forests. Hopefully we'll have some boat-travel between islands and potentially small aircraft flights between. It should be pretty sweet, and although I'll miss going to the Sultanate of Brunei (and its treatment of women), the Phillipines should make an excellent trip.

In other news, yesterday I dropped my scooter off a half-block from work to get the oil changed. Last night, at five past 10, I realized that I had LEFT my scooter at the mechanic. I go over to look, and it is blocked by several other scooters. I go back to the branch, get a wonderful CT to come help me. She sees the same, writes down the telephone number and calls. No answer. We go back over, this time with a contingent of 2 more, and bang on the gate. Finally it opens. In Chinese, my friends explain that I'm a total idiot, and if I could please have my scooter. The man was very nice, got my scooter, joked in broken English about giving him tips, and then charged me 150 NT for the oil change. That's 5 dollars and the standard rate.

Needless to say, I will be buying lots of chocolates today to try to restore my "guanxi"...I have asked too many favors and done too little for all my friends at work. AND NOW they totally saved my butt.

Alas, I thought I was living in Taiwan just fine.

Christmas is on Friday. What are you doing? We have been required to take the day off. I'm assuming we'll open gifts, drink hot chocolate, and watch a movie. Maybe go hiking in the afternoon? I work on Christmas Eve until 11, and then on sat the 26th I have to work at 10 am. Christmas will be a nice break!

No comments: