Tuesday, October 27, 2009

What Just Happened






















I just went to the park near our house to do a little mountain hiking. After a bit of walking on some crazy cement/tree root stairs I ran into two older men sitting with their dog, resting. One was very friendly, and started to talk to me immediately. He quickly learned that I couldn't speak Chinese, but managed to invite me to hike the rest of the mountain with him. So we did, pointing on butterflies ("hu tie"), stopping to take pictures, and stopping so that he could rub his butt on a tree...this I have yet to figure out.

When we got to the top, there were several other (5) retired men and women who also quickly learned I didn't speak Chinese. I'm pretty sure they were asking me about my spots (freckles). I was able to communicate that I was American, a teacher, drove a scooter, was 22 (he guessed 30). One woman told me I had beautiful eyebrows.
Then my travel guide took me up a couple more steps to a small temple. He lit incense and gave me three. We prayed at each bowl, put incense in, and then prayed again. I wasn't allowed to take pictures, but it was a really cool experience. High in the hills above Fengyuan, praying to a god that I don't know, the smell of incense wafting from the bowl that I placed it in, and interesting Chinese music floating up from the village below.
I finally communicated that I had to leave, and the man offered to walk me down (how could I say no?) So we hiked down, again stopping so he could rub his butt on a tree and to practice saying "butterfly" in Chinese. I saw a new bird, that the man, I think, wanted to throw something at. Although probably only so it would fly for me, I made it clear that throwing things was not an option.

Finally I got to the bottom, where I tried to buy jewelry but it was too expensive. The street vendor and another street vendor, I think, found me quite interesting. I asked if they would be back tomorrow, he said yes. Then the tour guide man showed up just in time to remind me to wear a helmet and that the fine for going without was 500 dollars. I waved goodbye, he yelled "Thank you!" for perhaps the hundredth time...this was the only English he knew. Overall an interesting start to the day. I pulled up to our apt. building just as Josh was getting home from work. We said hellos, he is off running, I will go do some work things, and then we will have lunch.
Wednesdays are great because I teach one class, at 6 pm, so I don't need to leave Fengyuan until 4:30 or so. Excellent excuse to go hiking. Hiking is an excuse in itself. I am quite happy.

1 comment:

jd said...

And you make me happy - clearly you are hitting your stride! What a lovely day - I can totally picture you communicating without knowing any words - xcept hu tie of course - these folks are prob buddhists? also, great pictures - I love the way you play with perspective - same little camera? -also did you ID the bird - looks a little cormorantish?