Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Piece by Piece

Last Thursday, Josh and I celebrated 1 year of dating with dinner. After work (at 9:20), Josh picked me up and whisked me off to a restaurant that we found out was closed :0). So instead of the very fancy buffet at the top of a high rise, we went to little Europe and ate Mediterranean. I was really pleased with this change of plans, as I have been having a craving for baba ghanoush and ceasar salad for weeks. We ate tons of food for much less money, sat outside, and had a quiet corner where we could play a guessing game. Josh's gift giving plans were thwarted when he went to the store and found out it had been permanently closed. So I asked relentless questions until I was no closer to figuring out what my gift was. Saturday after work we went to a huge mall that also had a store that sold "el mystery." By the time we left the mall, I knew it was "sort of" made of paper, I couldn't wear it, it had nothing to do with music, it wasn't Asian, it wasn't a bird book or a guide book for trees, and it came with a promise. As we got on our scooter to come home so I could open it, I shouted "It's a PUZZLE! of something in Germany! and the promise is that we're going there!!"

It is a puzzle of a beautiful lake village in Austria, and as part of our trip back to the US, Josh has agreed to go to Germany :0). He bought me the lonely planet guide, relinquished control of our travel plans, and we are thinking Berlin and Munich, with a trip into the mountains. I have been working on the puzzle too much in the last few days, and it is nowhere close to being finished. It was the perfect gift, as it provided us something to do that wasn't grading homework and making fun of students, it was constructive; it was meaningful. You may think I am a dork, but I think he's adorable.

No comments: