Friday, August 15, 2008

Surprise!

Leisurely morning. Took Mom to Belfair this afternoon to meet the rangers and then over to Kopachuck for the evening. As I was sitting in the office putting the 7 o'clock touches on the 8 o'clock program, I see a familiar face asking for Ranger Matt. It was someone from regional headquarters - the guy in charge of, and really dedicated to, interpretation. I asked him why he was at Kopachuck....and the answer was "to watch your program."

AHH!

It was my first time giving the program, it was a power point (always tricky), and suddenly I was quite nervous. I repeat: AHH!

It went wonderfully and it was great to have him there to talk with and compare notes, etc. He is one of the people who have made my internship possible, so (I say this after the program went well) it was cool for me to show what I have been doing.


It seems that I've made an impact here. As I finish my work and leave it behind for the rangers, I see that I actually have produced work that will help to increase interpretation in parks. Steve is delivering one of my programs at Belfair tomorrow, and Matt tonight wanted to meet before I leave to review my work so that he could continue to use it once I have gone. It seems that I am wrapping up (I still have until the 31st), but tonight, for now, assured me that it has been worthwhile. I know it has been incredible for me, and now I humbly and comfortably see that I have had an impact on the people here. I think its a good thing when people wish they could make a job for me to keep me on.

No comments: