Sunday, November 29, 2009

Whoops

So I have neglected this for quite some time and I am afraid this post will not justify such an absence...other than to say the last few weeks have been terribly exciting and quite boring at the same time.

Last Tuesday, on my way to dinner with some friends, I witnessed a car hit the scooter directly in front of me. It was a slow speed accident, but the woman hit had a very swollen face injury and a potentially fractured knee. Ask my mom why the accident was particularly shocking.

I thought I was okay and drove on to dinner after stopping for a few minutes. Since then I have been a bit shaken up. Every time I drive I see potential accidents; people drive like maniacs here and I knew there were frequent accidents, but this one was so close. I fell asleep on the couch a few nights ago. I dreamt about another accident, and just as the car hit I jerked awake and started crying. I think I am getting better, but I'm still a little jumpy on the street.

One of my co-NSTs is leaving for America tonight. She is so nice and was extraordinarily patient with my incessant questions about lesson planning. We hung out for a bit yesterday with her boyfriend and friend visiting from the states. Picked up yummy food (including curry potatoes. YUM) from a vegetarian buffet and ate in their courtyard. Went to several market-types and gathered a few small gifts. I got some awesome pants that remind me of the hair barrette D&B gave me in 2007.

Yesterday, Josh and I spent a relaxing morning looking at travel pictures and reveling in a day off. In the afternoon we went to the video store to try to explain (again!) that the dvd did not work on our computer and could we please exchange this one (which came in a box set) for another, non-box-set DVD. Then scootered up a near mountain to a temple at the top. Then to Taichung (the city where I work) to go back to the Jade Market that Teacher Sara showed me yesterday. More looking at beautiful things. Then Friday's for dinner (Josh's cravings for American food sometimes end up in me having a stomach ache and empty wallet...but I go along so that when I have silly cravings he'll let me eat a box of oreos). Then to a bookstore quickly to find a Chinese lessons CD (unsuccessfully) and to search for the Lonely Planet Southeast Asia on a Shoe String. Plans for late January are in the works-the island of Borneo; hopefully Indonesia, Malaysia, AND Brunei. So cool! Then maybe onto the insland of Java.

Grad Apps due in two weeks and I AM NOT FINISHED. In any way. So time to get back to that. I am beginning to think that if it is this difficult to write a personal statement and statement of purpose, maybe I should not be applying for my PhD. But I will do it. I want to. I like Taiwan.

No comments: