Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Packing Procrastination

Behind me sits friend Chrissy, eating cheese wiz and crackers. Jason Mraz "I'm Yours" is playing from my speakers. Chrissy's dogs are begging for cheeze wiz after they broke into their food bags and ate it all. The remnants of my life at Twanoh are scattered on various horizontal surfaces, waiting to be shoved in the Honda tomorrow morning. The trunk is half full - boxes of dishes, a very dense bag of clothes, a crate of records.

Indeed, this is my final evening at Twanoh State Park. Tomorrow morning, Chrissy and I are heading to Stacy's to hang out...we will spend the day going to REI to get a sleeping bag that all of the rangers chipped in for my going-away present (best. gift. ever), take the dogs for a walk, go to some place that serves margaritas, and perhaps foxtrot. Wednesday morning I am leaving Stacy's and heading south. Arrive the Berkeley abode Thursday evening, spend three evenings with wonderful family (!) and then fly out of Reno on the 7th, arriving PIT at 11:59 Sunday night.

So yes, this is my last evening in the Twanoh house. Yesterday I said goodbye to Janet and then refused to take my uniform off for a good 5 minutes......while I cried like a baby. I went out to lunch today with Edd and his wife and said goodbye to the Belfair rangers. Then I met with Janet because I had forgotten to give her my final disc of work (duh). Then to Stacy's and back home and now I am here and going to sleep so that I may rise early, pack, and have one final day in Washington. Holy crap. One, final day in Washington.

My stomach didn't like that very much.

In a couple of days I will be ready to leave. Unfortunately, that is a day or two after I have left, which means by then I will have cried lots more. But homeward bound am I and there are people along the way that I love and there are people in Pittsburgh that I love but today and tomorrow are about the people here that I love.

No comments: