Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Language Exchange-Can someone please give me Chinese?

all quiet here. Josh and I had a quiet weekend of movies and a soccer game. A nice respite from our three weekends on the road (including Thailand/Cambodia). Since kindy ended last Wednesday, I've aggressively cleaned parts of the apartment, studied a lot of chinese, and actually talked to my parents for once. I've returned to my daily tutoring job.

This afternoon we will have a couch-surfer come stay with us for two days. I'm excited about having a guest!

Josh and I are taking a chinese class now. We meet once a week for two hours with our teacher. Just the two of us which means lots of practice. Our teacher is quite funny, and understands that we want to move quickly, so she goes through the material in the book at a clip. Then, we talk about other interesting things we can say based off of the book. I also set up a language exchange for us with a coworker at my school. She lives in Fengyuan, so we meet for an hour on Tuesday and two hours on Friday. She helps us with pronunciation, asks us questions (quickly), and listens to Josh and I talk to each other. We ask extra questions, etc. It's a great way to study the material in advance. It's a pretty one sided exchange-she hasn't asked much of us in the way of English education.

I've also set up a one-hour language exchange with another friend of mine for Wednesdays. I have a two hour break in Fengyuan from 4-6, so she and I will go out for an hour in between. Yesterday we went to the fruit stand and I learned how to read the prices - 3 for 100 dollars, or 1 jin (a measure word meaning 600 grams) for 12 dollars. This way I can actually comparison shop!

Time to face the day. Training today for two hours, then a four hour break in Taichung (what a waste of time), and then class. Without kindy, it's a pretty good life.

No comments: